Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wow Wednesday

I love my great grandmother's banana muffin recipe.  My mom has made it my whole life and it's what banana bread is "supposed" to taste like.  It's made with butter or shortening, lots of sugar, white flour etc.  I've tried many ways of making it healthier but I had great success last night with my alterations.  Here's the new modified recipe:

Great Mom's Banana Muffins

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (instead of butter) + 2 Tbsps light smart balance 'butter'
1/3 cup of raw sugar + 1/2 cup agave in the raw (instead of 1 cup of white sugar)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
*optional 1 tsp vanilla
*optional 1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 cups flour (i do half oat bran/half unbleached white)
2 eggs or egg substitute
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Blend sugar/agave w/ applesauce and melter butter substitute, add eggs, banana, vanilla, then dry ingredients. 

Optional topping: 1/3 cup brown sugar or sugar in the raw & 2/3 cup chopped pecans. Top the muffins or bread before you bake them.

For muffins: preheat to 400˚F, fill greased tin or paper muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 15-20 minutes.
For Banana Bread: preheat to 350˚F and bake in a loaf pan for 55 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment