Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent, Priorities, & a Light-hearted Top 5

I've actually given Lent a lot of thought this year. Growing up Presbyterian/Baptist we didn't participate in this "giving something up" season. I'm not sure I even completely agree with just going something up. I get it- give up chocolate and when you want it you think about Jesus's sacrifice, right? To me, it is almost blasphemous that my TINY food sacrifice has any fraction of relation to Jesus's sacrifice on the cross. If I misunderstand or misinterpret, please enlighten me. With that being said I have a serious comment and goal as well as a joke. Serious first: I'm planning on reading the entire Bible in the next 90 days. Apparently it's about 12 pages a day in most Bibles, however, I'll be reading most of it on my phone (and probably while I'm nursing). Today it was Genesis 1-16, and it took me about a total of 45 minutes. I've been convicted that I spend an exorbitant amount of time playing games on my phone everyday but I only spend time in God's word a few times a week. I've read through my Bible a few times in my life- but haven't done it in a number of years. Thus, my goal to read it now- and half with be done during this Lenten season. I will also be disciplining myself to read it before I do any other mindless activity like games or Facebook on my phone.

And for the light hearted part of my post. I've been thinking up a top 5 "you know you might be off the mark during Lent if..."

5. You find yourself saying, "I'm soooo glad Lent falls right before my Spring Break Cancun trip this year. I've already lost 5 lbs giving up soda!"

4. You decide a new trend is underway with charcoal eyeshadow on foreheads. You quickly tweet your opinion.

3. You think to yourself, "good thing I gave up Facebook for Lent, I'm sick and tired of seeing all my friends getting engaged, married and having freakin' cute babies."

2. You can't decide whether to give up getting drunk, getting high or both.

1. You take on a fiscal fast, just in time to save up enough money to pay your outrageous Gap Credit Card bill.


No comments:

Post a Comment