Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Cheerful Heart

The stages that Charli and Claire are in right now are so fun. Honestly, they are some of my favorites thus far in the 2.5 years of parenting. Claire is an easy baby. She rarely cries and if she does you can guarantee that something is hurting her. She sleeps through the night (7am-7pm) and naps pretty well. She loves her sister and is easily entertained. And who wouldn't be entertained in our household?! Charli says the absolute cutest things. We laugh constantly at her comments. She can't say the letter L well yet which also adds to the hilarity and cuteness. Here are some recent comments/conversations.

In the car Brandon and I were having a serious conversation about politics. Charli cuts in and says, "need to talk about penguins."

While coloring at the dinner table she's saying over and over again to herself, "I'm drawing to the promised land" (said like wande) So of course, we ask, "where'd you learn about the promised land?" (thinking they must really be covering some ground in the 2 year old Sunday school class!) she replies matter of factly, "Larry" (from Veggie Tales) oh, of course, who else? haha

This was recently heard through the baby monitor after we put Charli to bed: "This widdle piggy to market, this widdle piggy wee wee wee all da way" Over and over again.

She also loves to sing. She sings real songs and makes up everything else. I guess I can take credit for that- I sing everything to them, make up silly nonsense songs, and sing nursery rhymes, Bible songs, and pop songs to them constantly. Nothing makes me know I'm doing a good job better than the way Charli will "comfort" Claire when she get's fussy. In a sweet singsong-y voice she'll sing, "it's okay Claire-baby, don't you fussy, it's okay-yay-yay."

These moments help me "rise above" other moments where I could lose my mind. Like the other day when I was changing a BLOWOUT diaper of Claire's and simultaneously Charli peed a gallon on herself and the floor then starts bawling because she knows she's in trouble. Or when both girls are exhausted, hungry, and losing their minds as we make the 20 million mile, I mean 20 minute, drive home from church. Or when Claire's "special" number appears during the church service, meaning, we can't handle your child come get her NOW.

But really, those rough patches are nothing in comparison to their laughs, their big, beautiful, blue eyes, and their cuddles. I'm going to keep choosing to remember the good in the midst of the bad. And I love this paraphrase of Proverbs 15:13

"A cheerful heart brings a smile to your face; a sad heart makes it hard to get through the day."

2 comments:

  1. Bess, didn't realize you blogged! Very fun discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And love them. Funny thing, when you commented about the promised land, I immediately started singing, "in the promised land, it's gonna be so grand..." Yay Veggie Tales!

    ReplyDelete